Family Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and permanent residents of at least 18 years old can sponsor certain relatives to become permanent residents of Canada.

Spouse, common-law or conjugal partner

There are two different federal streams of Spousal/CL partner sponsorship – inland and outland.  Each stream has its pros and cons and you, therefore need to weigh your options very carefully before submitting your applications.

Pros and cons of Inland applications

+ the sponsored person is eligible to get an open work permit

+ slightly less paperwork

– tend to be slower than outland applications

– no right of appeal to the Immigration & Refugee Board of Canada

Pros and cons of Outland applications

+ tend to be faster than inland applications

+ right of appeal to the Immigration & Refugee Board of Canada

– the sponsored person is not eligible to get an open work permit

– more complicated paperwork

If you are unsure whether inland or outland is best for you, please feel free to book a consultation with us so that we can discuss your options.

Dependent Children

Both biological and adopted children can be sponsored for permanent residency in Canada. 

Parents and grandparents

Please follow this link to see the changes for the 2020 Parent and Grandparent Program. 

Other relatives such as brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces etc. 

Under very limited special circumstances, you may sponsor the above-mentioned relatives. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more details. 

Please note that in order for a Sponsorship application to be successful, both the sponsor and their sponsored relative must meet all eligibility requirements. These requirements vary by a stream.