The Federal Self-Employed Persons class is geared towards applicants who intend and have the ability to become self-employed in Canada while making a significant contribution to the cultural, artistic or athletic life of Canada. The main purpose of this immigration category is to attract talented athletes to represent Canada as a professional athlete, coach, or world-class artist. You must show that you intend to continue with your self-employment activities upon your arrival to Canada.
To qualify for this program, a successful candidate must satisfy the following basic requirements:
- Have relevant work experience (in the period beginning five years before the date of the application submission and ending on the day a decision is made on the application), which is defined as:
- At least two-year experience of participation in cultural activities or athletics at a World-class level;
- At least two-year experience of self-employment in cultural activities or athletics, or
- At least two-year experience in managing a farm.
- Meet the selection criteria for self-employed people
- Pass medical and security checks
- Demonstrate sufficient financial resources
In order to be eligible to apply under this category, you must have relevant experience and intend to be self-employed in one of these occupations:
Professional Occupations in Public Relations and Communications (NOC 5124)
Once you meet the definition of a self-employed person, you will be assessed against the following five selection criteria:
|SELECTION CRITERIA||MAXIMUM POINTS|
How can we help?
At Coastal Immigration Ltd., we have an experienced Federal Self-Employed Persons class specialist on our team. We have extensive experience assisting world-class athletes (including, but not limited to a professional snowboarder, skier, hockey player, tennis player, soccer coach, swimmer atd) and artists (including, but not limited to a photographer, journalist, composer, actor and graphic designer) from around the World obtain temporary work permits and permanent residency in Canada.
If you are a professional athlete or a world-class artist, please do not hesitate to contact us for more information. We will provide you with a solution tailored to your specific situation.
Benefits of Canadian permanent residency
Professional athletes who are Canadian citizens or Permanent residents are eligible to be considered for support through the Athlete Assistance Program (APP). APP is a sport funding program managed by Sport Canada. It is intended to assist world-class athletes with their financial costs associated with preparing for and participating in international sport by providing living and training allowance.
You must satisfy the following requirements to be eligible for the program:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- Adhere to your athlete/National Sport Organization agreement requirements;
- Be available to represent Canada at major international events, such World Championships, World Cups, Olympic Games and Paralympic Games;
- Meet the carding criteria as a member of the Canadian Team at international events or in domestic events or events sanctioned by the National Sport Organization for your sport;
- Live and train in Canada (exceptions apply).
National Sport Organizations
The following National Sport Organizations are eligible to receive funding from Sport Canada: